Monday, October 22, 2007

Transgender - A Different Kind of Courage


Back in the mid 90's, I worked in the technology sector with some of the most brilliant high tech workers and entrepreneurs that I have ever met. One of these people was a young woman named Yavante.

In 2006, I was literally chased down by a man in a large SUV who was yelling my name. At first I thought it was one of my customers from one of the nightclub promotions that I produce, but when the man got out of his truck and began to run towards me, I was thinking, oh shit, this man is desperately trying to get my attention and I don't even know who he is.
He said "Joe, it's me Yavante!" Searching his face, although I could see something about him that was familiar, I just didn't remember him, so I said "Look brutha, I have to be honest, I don't remember you."
His response was," Joe, we worked together in the technology sector." Again, his name sounded familiar but it still wasn't clicking.

He then said "Oh shit, I'm sorry Joe, I used to be a girl back then."

Yavante has made the transition from a woman to the man that he always felt he should be.

We didn't use any before pictures for this story because that was another life for Yavante.

See my candid discussion with Yavante below about the kind of courage it took for him to be the Yavante he was always meant to be.

This 2006 interview is a http://www.keepingitrealonline.tv/ special so it is about 30 minutes long.




No comments: