Monday, November 5, 2007

Will Smith - Why I'm Feeling Him


In late 2005, I met actor Will Smith outside of the building where I use to work in Downtown Oakland, California.

He was working on the film "The Pursuit of Happyness" and I had to coordinate the production company's use of the building that I was the administrator of at the time. Most of the filming took place directly below my office window, so I got to see him working almost everyday for about a week.

One day, our staff was all a buzz about him standing near the rear exit of our building, and although I saw him frequently while they were shooting the film, he just happened to be taking pictures with staff during this particular sighting so I went down to check it out.

When I arrived, he was preparing to leave and I thanked him for making the film, shook his hand and the hand of his son (Jaydon) and he went back to work.

I can't say that I was ever a big fan of Will's music, although I did love "Summertime," and I never watched the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. He first got my attention in 6 Degrees of Seperation and he just got better from there.

Will's best actor nomination for the film Pursuit of Happyness was well deserved and touched me more than any of his other films because the story reminded me so much of me and my son, making our way here in the Bay Area, similar to Chris Gardner, the man who's life the story was based on, who I have also met a few times.

With films like Independence Day (with Vivica A. Fox), Men In Black, I Robot, Ali, Shark Tale, Hitched, The Pursuit of Happyness and now I am Legend (see trailer below) due in theaters Friday, December 14, 2007, Will is doing it "Big Willie Style!"

The older he gets, the better he acts and the better looking he gets. Will is working what I call the "Four S" program; Smart, Savvy, Sexy and Silly.

I feel you Will and I love your work and I look forward to meeting you formally soon.

Joe


I am Legend In Theaters Friday, December 14, 2007

1 comment:

WhozHe said...

Ditto. I was fortunate enough to be in his prescence for the premier of the Pursuit Of Happyness but I was so busy taking pictures of him, Will Smith, standing in front of me shaking hands with everybody on the side of me, behind me, around me, and I like a fool kept snapping pictures and never touched his hand. I'm such an idiot!!